Monday, April 23, 2012

Do you like me?

It's been a week since I last posted, I have to admit I was just too lazy this weekend to go through my many pictures and set up a post. But this morning there was this cute episode I wanted to share.

Singapore has four official languages: Mandarin, Malay, Tamil and English. And there are a lot more languages spoken in this multi cultural city state. Chinese languages like Hokkien, Hainanese, Teiochew, Hakka and Cantonese (not that I'd be ever able to tell the difference), Malay and Indian dialects, and other Asian languages. But the common language to all (or most) Singaporeans is English.

Still, that doesn't mean I always understand it... Like today: I went to my Juice Lady (from this post) and she thought about what fruit juice she would make for me. And then she looks at me and asks: "Do you like me?". I must admit I was confused for a moment. "Me? Do you like me?"...

But then I got it, smiled and replied: "Yes, I like milk!"

And as usual I walked away with a smile on my face and a delicious drink in my hand. Honeydew mixed with me... ehm... Milk. Try it, it's wonderful!

 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a fabulous time. Love hearing the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good story! You obviously must be very careful what you say! Mum

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - I'd love to hear from you!